Wondering what type of desert you can make that doesn’t include ice cream but that’s still refreshing? Here’s one for you! My mom found this recipe a few years ago and it has been a hit ever since! Mind you, it may look like its low calorie but I have to say that it is far from it, therefore should be served in small portions :)
Also, I made an adjustment from the original recipe to make it gluten free! To make the dessert a little more calorie friendly, one could use lower fat dairy products instead of the regular full fat.
Whipped Cheese and Berries!
½ cup 35% whipping cream
8 oz (250 g) cream cheese, room temperature
½ cup sour cream
1/3 to ½ cup white sugar
1 tbsp lemon zest
2 tbsp lemon juice
Fresh berries or frozen (whatever you’ve got; blueberries, strawberries, raspberries)
Gluten Free graham cracker crumbs or ginger cookie crumbs
1) In an already chilled bowl, whip the whipping cream. Set aside.
2) In another bowl, whip the cream cheese with an electric beater. Add the sour cream, sugar, lemon zest and lemon juice. Continue to mix until the mixture is well blended together.
3) Using a spatula, fold the whipped cream into the previous mixture.
4) Alternating layers of fruit and mixture, place into small cups.
5) Chill for 2-3 hours. When ready to serve, sprinkle on the gluten free crumbs and add the mint leaf. Enjoy!
What’s your favorite summer time dessert?
I work as a Dietitian and definitely walk the talk. I love to cook and help people get back to being healthy again.